Friday, June 15, 2012

Boat rides, ginger & the law

The more time we spend here on Bali, the more adventure we have. I have remained engaged with my volunteer work for the past two days which now includes the FBI. Really! Dr. has partnered with the FBI to address pedophilia which is said to be occurring here on Bali often by Dutch, Austrailian, and American men. The FBI is here looking for American citizens who may have escaped the US and are here to pray on vulnerable victims. Dr is educating the community about pedophilia,on what to watch for, etc. We spent 2 days working with an agent. Today I had the day off so I decided to join John scuba diving. That actually means riding along in the boat to the site and snorkeling for me, as I gave up diving years ago. Big mistake. I am feeling alittle under the weather with a bad cold so I thought the sun, sea air, and salt water would be helpful and relaxing. Not so. Once we were on the small boat with 6 other internationals, I remembered reading in the guide books that some of the water passages around Indonesia could be treterous. On the way out to Nuesa Penida (approx 45 min - 1 hr), the waves were large and rough and there were only groans now and then. After the 3 dives of beautiful fish and corals around the island however, it was time for the return journey. By now, the waves have gotten much, much, bigger with huge swells as we cross the passage home. This time, you hear whimpers as we ride up the swells and crash back down seeing the island, then not. Twice the young captain squealed a cowboy "yeeha" when we were airborne. He was the only one that found humor in the situation... Upon a safe return to Sanur, I walked to the pharmacy now needing not only cold medication but something for my headache. I asked the pharmacist for Ibprophen (advil) and she goes to a back room and searches through a laundry detergent box and returns to tell me "we're finished". I took that as...none left...and walked back to the condotel for some hot ginger coffee. They say it's good for everything!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Susie, it sounds like you are having the adventure of a lifetime--through a complete spectrum of events--FBI, snorkeling, seasickness, riding the waves, long walks through beautiful countryside, and the ever present hair! Hang in there. Your life has been a great exploit--you must consider writing a book !

    ReplyDelete