Sunday, October 13, 2013

Moscow

We arrived to Moscow, without too much incident via the overnight train from Kazan.  Yes, we were rolled in the night, but our bad for not being more careful. We had our Kupe locked, but someone snuck in and was able to steal our loot right off of us. Creepy...
We are alive and well however to report this good news, just alittle lighter on cash to spend in the big city.


After visiting St. Petersburg several years ago, I couldn't imagine another Russian city in comparison.  I underestimated Moscow.  It too, is just gorgeous with it's many gold domed churches, beautiful architecture and bustling  atmosphere.  We toured the Kremlin, Red Square and many of the cathedrals today.  A special exhibit of the tsars from 1500-1700 was taking place in one of the museums and it was incredible.  It had their clothing, jewel incrusted scepters, mink and gold crowns,  dinning settings, jewelry, etc. 
I was all set to see some of the Faberge eggs (finally mom! -sorry an inside joke between us) but the armory was inaccessible today.  We plan to return tomorrow to try and score the tour.


We have loved traveling on the Moscow metro.  It is well organized, clean, beautiful and FAST!  I made it on initially along with my straps but my bag was still outside when the doors closed.  Frantic, I began pulling on the bag thinking the doors would open.  No luck, finally a young Russian man pried the doors open enough to get my bag into the car.  What a scene, we all laughed afterward but it could have been ugly.

We meet up with fellow scholars starting tomorrow.  I must say we have enjoyed the luxury of the hotel and living large here in Moscow.  I was even able to catch some retail therapy today which was long overdue.            

No comments:

Post a Comment