Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Home Sweet Ufa

We arrived back to our humble abode here in Ufa late this afternoon. As much as we enjoyed the hustle & bustle of Moscow our trip south and east to the Urals was nice. We were up at 6:00 am to take a cab to the Vnukovo airport.  Traffic is very heavy in Moscow and this is just one of their 3 international airports.  We had to schedule 1.5 hours to make the 17 miles by 8:30 for the 10:30 am flight.


It was a pretty hair-raising ride.  As they told us at our Russian briefing..."Russia is the only place in the world where you can drive on the wrong side of the road-and get rear-ended".

John and I were both pleased to see that our plane today back to Ufa did not have props.  We boarded the bus that took us out on the tarmac again and I kept my eyes closed hoping when I opened them there would be a jet this time in front of me.  Bingo, there sat a 737 warmed up and ready to fly, and the two hour flight home was smooth as silk!

Tomorrow is a prep day as I have lectures scheduled for Friday and again next week.  I have also been asked to co-author a section of a manual for physicians here (psychosocial aspects of care) so I have alot of work ahead of me.

We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new washing machine. We have been told it should be here in "October".  No sight of it so far, so it looks like it is back to the bathtub tomorrow.  I could almost get in the  Christmas spirit around here with the cold temperatures and all stringing, draping and hanging of socks, shirts, pants, undergarments, etc. around the apartment and up on the porches.  Or...I could just be loosing it.........

No comments:

Post a Comment